Sunday, June 16, 2013

Finally, St Jean Pied de Port

We finally made it to the start of El Camino.  It was a very stop/start,hurry up and wait journey,but once we finally got to the Pilgrims' Hostel to collect our Credentials, it was all worth it.  Actually the bus ride from Bayonne was worth it.  I haven't been to this part of the world for many years, and I had forgotten just how stunning the scenery it.  The boys, of course, fell asleep!

We had arrived in Bayonne at about 3:30pm, and had to find where to buy the tickets.  Once again I was astounded at how helpful the SNCF girl was as I tried to communicate in schoolgirl French I had learned over 35 years ago.  I got the feeling that they are a little embarrassed by the strikers in Paris,and just want to get on with their jobs. Anyway,she helped me buy and then validate the ticket, so that we were ready to go as soon as the bus arrived, some 2 hours later.  We went for a little stroll, bought some postcards and stamps, sat down for a coffee and wrote the cards.  We also found a post box to send them on their way!

The bus was on time, and we were soon driving through the western Pyrenees and into sunshine.  It felt good.  The walk from the station to the hostel was easy, and we walked past our hotel on the way, so checking in was easy later.  The gentleman in the Accueil was helpful , our Credentials have their first stamp, we each have a Pilgrim's shell and after a good meal, we are set.

I don't know when I'll be able to connect to the Internet and update this again,but tomorrow ... We walk!

1 comment:

  1. Now your adventure has really began, good luck and happy walking.

    x x

    ReplyDelete