Monday, June 17, 2013

The weird Chinese walker

We were just sitting down in the bar/restaurant for the pilgrim's menu, when there was a commotion outside, and someone asked if I could help translate for someone.  I went outside to see a Chinese guy moaning and wailing on the floor and causing quite s stir.  He seemed inconsolable,exhausted,and barely able to make himself understood. Several people were surrounding him, and it was difficult to understand what exactly was going on.  His story was that he had just walked 40 km, to get to larrosoana, and the albergue was full and he had no where to stay. He looked like he was going to pass out.  People were trying to get him to take some aspirin, drink some fluids and calm down, so he could be better understood.  I was charged with going to the supermarket to see if "my friend" there knew of some alternative accommodation.  I did so, and checked in the nearby Hostel, which was a lot more expensive.  I got back and found that someone had offered to move out ,or share a bed,so he had been taken to the albergue to rest.  I was a little wary of this,especially after the Paris incident,but tried not to worry,and enjoy my garlic soup, fish and rice pudding, but I wanted to get back as I had left the iPad in my backpack.  The story got stranger and stranger.  Apparently he had got lost going over the mountain the day before, slept in a barn, or outhouse, thrown his shoes away because they were too tight.  It was all very odd, and I didn't trust it.

It turns out, that I was right not to, and not to get too involved.  One of the other people had walked with him the following day and his story had changed several times.  It would appear that he was a freeloader, and looking for free food and lodging, taking advantage of the kindness of others who are on this Pilgrim's Way.

1 comment:

  1. Tex - The Chinese Walker - another great story in the bag, to be dug out when you and the boys come to reflect on this wonderful journey.

    Be safe.

    Simon (Austin).

    ReplyDelete